Living in Sweden it is very tangible how the light effects us. And lack there of.
So when the light slowly starts to return to this side of the planet it feels like you are finally waking up after a long and dark sleep.
Of course this gives us some kind of – “Out with the old In with the new” feeling.
But sometimes it might feel a bit…overwhelming.
Where should I start? Or maybe just – what can I do?
Look no more!
I have put together a list of small and not so small things you can change, remake, re-style in your home and in your life to get that
Here we go!
1. Clean out your food cupboard.
There’s probably some things in there that has just stayed in there forever. In the far back. You know what I mean.
Just get it all out. Throw away the old things too old to use. Re-organise and make room for new favourites.
Another thing is to get new boxes, jars and nice fresh storage for your favourite foods.
A classic is to have all your grains, rice and pasta in glass jars. Even thought it’s almost been over used it works.
It does make the cupboard look more open and fresh.
2. This is an easy one. Take out all your bed linens, re-fold them, re-organise them.
All of a sudden you have made it look a little nicer in your linen closet(who has that these days?). Or drawer, or shelf or pile of bed linens.
3. Change your curtains to a lighter fabric and colour. Or maybe just take the curtains away all together and really let the new spring light fill up your room, or flat, or house. Changing something so easy as the fabric that frames your windows can really change the way you experience your room or flat.
4. Put away most of your candle holders and tea light holders, that reminds us of those autumn and winter evenings. Make room for spring.
5. Go and get some fresh flowers. Let the wonderful scent of the beautiful flowers fill the air.
It’s also very pretty and can lift any space. You’re bringing spring into your home.
6. Take all the winter coats and clothes away for your hallway and closet. If you have an empty suitcase use that to pack your winter things away. Two birds one stone, or what the english expression would be.
In addition to this, put some nice and light spring and summer shoes out in the hallway. If you have your coats and jackets hanging so you see them take that thick knitted winter scarf away and replace it with a colourful spricg/summer scarf. It will give your hallway a little spring “face”-lift. Again, bring the spring into your home.
7. For the ones who like nailpolish. Give your nails a new colour.
Choose your favourite colour, whatever it might be, orangem yellow, green, grey blue. DOn’ care so much about trends, go with what you like and what reminds you of spring. And now you’ll have a little reminder of spring at your fingertips at all times. Love it!
8. A new haircut – Nothing says “fresh start” as much as a new haircut.
I’m not telling you to go cut your hair off completely. It can just be a trim. Getting that fringe back that you’ve thought about for a while or maybe just change to a different nuance of your hair colour.
Or even easier, get a new styling product that gives your hair that new and fresh feeling with a nice fragrance.
Even though it’s a super superficial thing it gives a feeling of something new and a change. The change that the weather is going through as well.
9. Organise your wardrobe. Out with all the old things. Not just winter clothes as mentioned above. Have a look through your entire wardrobe. Be harsh and strong. You know you haven’t used that t-shirt or sweater or trousers in a while, you know you won’t use it. Put all the things you haven’t used in one year in a big plastic bag and take it to your nearest charity shop. They love donations and other people love finding clothes for next to nothing.
This will give your wardrobe and yourself a great new and fresh start for this spring.
10. Do something you’ve never done before. I know, this sounds overwhelming but don’t worry. It doesn’t have to be big.
It can be just getting out of bed 5 minutes earlier to be able to really relax in the morning with a coffee or tea in that favourite mug. Of course it can be a big thing as well, like booking that trip you’ve always wanted to go on.
Either big or small or something in between it will give you almost like an injection of freshness and something new in your life.
A New Fresh Start.
Do you have more brilliant ideas for a clean and fresh start and to really take spring and bring it into your home and life?
Don’t be shy, share your ideas too! :)
Image from Pixabay